How I learned about fly fishing.
I first saw a fly fisherman at Bennett Springs, Mo when I was 14. I asked my father what kind of “bait” he was using. (Remembering the stinky shrimp and chicken livers we used for cat fish back in Iowa). I asked if they were stinky. My Father laughed and said, ” No, They are artificial.” The grace of the fly fisherman as he cast the dry fly into the waters below a small water fall was a picture of beauty. Suddenly a scrappy 14 inch rainbow slammed the fly and … Read the rest here First Trout I was hooked and knew one day I would be a fly fisherman too. Have been since 1969.
My name is Marshall Estes, I have been running Fly Fishing Colorado since 2004.
- Fly fishing enthusiast since 1969
- Fly tier since 1970
- Inventor of silver ribbed bead head RS2
- Best year fishing — 450 fish hooked and released in 2001 — one year before the disastrous Hayman Fire that destroyed 135,000 acres of forest and streamside vegetation.
- Largest fish ever landed — 28 inch 8 lb, Colorado Rainbow in the North Fork of South Platte river April 30, 2005 on the North Fork Ranch.
- Most fish caught and released in one day 125.
- Place 45 minutes from Denver, CO
- Favorite flies
• bead head gold ribbed flashback hares ear — sizes 12 through 18
• bead head prince — sizes 12 through 18
• Gregs emerger — sizes 14 through 18 (both straight shank and scud hooks)
• Gray thread body RS2 — sizes 16 through 22 (with and without wing)
• Gray thread body silver ribbed RS2 — sizes 14 through 20
• Gray thread body bead head silver ribbed RS2 — sizes 16 and 18
• Mercury bead head RS2
• Black Beauty