Stop throwing out your old leaders and put them to work for you. Here is a list of 10 things to do with old leaders.
- Use them for knot tying practice.
- Build speciality leaders out of them.
- Streamer Leaders
- Extra long nymph leaders
- Use the short thin ends as tippet material
- Pre-tie flies to the short thin ends so you don’t waste time rigging up on stream
- Use the thicker parts for eyes in mysis shrimp or other nymph patterns that require eyes. Simply cut a piece the correct length and singe with a butane lighter until black. The lighter will cause the leader to form a round ball for the eye.
- Use thin ends for nymph ribbing.
- Use a thicker part for ribbing on Wolly Buggers or Streamers
- Build leaders for casting practice so you don’t beat up a new leader
- Take an old leader(s), use the thicker parts to string wooden beads and swivel snaps on for a fishing lanyard
- Tie nose plugs used in swimming to a swim suit to keep them from getting lost
- Tie a pacificer to baby clothes to keep it from getting lost
- 10. Cut a thinner piece. Glue the tag ends together and use for a bobbin threader
- Hey Readers — how about a hand here and add some other uses for old leaders. Leave a comment.
- The Good Humor Man
- Colorado Fishing Conditions – Bear Creek 6/25/08