Clinch Knots – Regular and Improved
How to Tie Regular and Improved Clinch Knots
Clinch Knot — Used to tie the fly to the end of the leader but has doesn’t have the breaking strength of the improved clinch knot or the single uni-knot. In my opinion, the single uniknot is a cleaner and smaller knot for attaching a fly to a leader tippet.
Steps to tying the clinch knot
- Grasp the fly in the left hand. Put the leader through the eye of the hook from the top for easy handling. Pull about 4 or 5 inches of tag end through the eye. Lay the tag end parallel to the standing end of the leader.Hold the leader about 2 inches from the fly. With the left hand, twist the fly in a complete circle 3 to 5 times. With 7X you may want to go 4 or 5 twists. Other wise 3 twists will normally work. Left Kreh, fishing expert, says that 5 twists is best.
- After twisting the fly, a loop will exist just in front of the hook eye. Take the tag end of the leader and insert it through this loop between the leader and the hook eye.
- Moisten the knot. Hold the tag end and pull the standing leader to tighten the knot.
- Trim the tag end off — leave a small tag end so the knot will not slip out under pressure as easily.
Graphic of how to tie Clinch Knots
Improved Clinch Knot — (Break Strength 95%) Used for same purpose as the Clinch Knot but has better breaking strength. This knot is quick and easy to tie. In my opinion, the single uniknot is a cleaner and smaller knot for attaching a fly to a leader tippet.
- Complete Steps 1 and 2 above.
- Take the free tag end and pass it back through the large open loop formed by twisting the fly. You should now have inserted the tag end through the small loop in front of the hook eye and back through the large open loop.
- Moisten the knot.
- Hold the tag end and pull the standing leader to tighten the knot. With the Improved Clinch Knot, you will feel the knot seat when it tightens up against the hook eye.
- Trim the tag end close to the knot. You can trim closer than with the regular Clinch Knot
Graphic of how to tie the Improved Clinch Knot
Fly Fishing Knots
Knots for Attaching Fly Fishing Line to Leader
Knots for Joining Two Pieces of Fly Fishing Leader
Knots to Tie the Fly to the Leader
- Basic Fly Fishing Equipment
- Flop and Hop Fly Fishing