The Orvis Hydros Fly Rod is the little brother to the Orvis Helios fly rod. It is second lightest fly rod I have found in my reviews. See the Comparison Table below.
The Hydros I tested was a 9 ft 6 wt 4pc 9.5 tip flex fast action rod. This particular rod had a nice crisp feel during casting. I found it easy to make good tight back cast loops and forward loops. During grass casting I put out 65 foot casts easily even with the wind blowing across my casting path. I have no doubt that it could cast 70 plus feet if necessary.
A normal 30 to 40 foot cast was easy with accurate on target line tracking. At 20 feet, the rod performed equally well as long as I didn’t overpower the cast.
COMPARISON OF FLY ROD WEIGHTS (All Rods are 9ft 5wt 4pc)
|Brand||Rod Model||Weight||Price||Price / oz|
|St Croix||Legend Elite||2.75||440||160|
- The Orvis Hydros Freshwater rod comes in lengths 8′ 4″, 8′ 6″ and 9 feet
- Available in actions 6.5, 7.5, 8.0 mid flex and 9.5 tip flex
- Line weights 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Manufactured using Orvis patent pending thermoplastic and thermoset resins in the attractive blue rod blanks.
- Precision Power Taper™
- Uses light weight chromed snake guides and tip top
- Use of carbon fiber reel inserts to reduce weight
- Polished aluminum picture window reel seat
- Super Grade Cork handle
- Uplocking reel seat
- Cordura rod tube with protective internal dividers
- Made in Manchester, Vermont
- Available in Saltwater models too
- 25 year unconditional warranty
- MSRP $495
These rods offer a variety of lengths and line weights to suit most freshwater fishing situations. Combined with a nice range of mid flex actions to suit the average caster, these actions will work well for nymphing and most dry fly fishing. The tip flex actions offer the fast response needed to fire off a dry fly cast to a rising fish or a crusing tarpon. But it also offers the sensitivity to use the tip flex rod for nymph fishing. The tip flex 9 ft 6 wt 4 pc Hydors I grass cast is a true powerhouse just like its big brother the Helios. Even though the Hydros is slightly heavier than the Helios, I did not notice the weight very much during casting. The Hydros has a nice balanced feel in the hand and during casting. The Hydros uses the same graphite and scrim systems as the Helios which produce a powerful and light fly rod.
The polished aluminum reel seat offers corrosion resistance even though not as attractive as the nickel silver on the Helios. The up locking reel seat is the standard on modern fly rods. All of these features add up to a very light rod with a good feel in the hand for both short, medium and long casts.
- The Orvis Hydros is one of the highest quality fly rods on the market.
- It is also one of the lightest one I have found in my comparisons so far.
- The hard chrome guides are of a high quality. They will offer years of excellent service and resist damage.
- The anodized skelatized reel seat reduces weight over the traditional wood reel insert and reel seat systems while retaining a visual appeal
- Comes in Salt Water Models too
- 25 year unconditional warranty
More information on the … Orvis Hydros fly rod
- Orvis Helios 9ft 5wt 4pc Fly Rod Review
- St Croix Imperial 9 Ft 7 Wt 4Pc Fly Rod Review