The Perfection Loop is a simple knot
for attaching your leader to your fly line
Perfection Loop — joins the leader to a fly line that has a loop connector installed. Although most leaders today come with a perfection loop knot tied in the leader, you may have to cut off the manufacturer’s knot for some reason and retie one of your own.
Fortunately this knot is simple to tie
and is one of the best knots for fly fishing.
- Form a loop at the end of a line or leader by circling the t
- ag end behind the standing line
- Take another circle around the standing line to form a second loop B (below). Hold loop B between thumb and forefinger
- Take one more turn around loop A. This makes the tag end lie in the center between loops A and B. Hold the loops and the tag end in place.
- Using the end of a closed forceps, reach through loop A and pull loop B through loop A
- Loop B should now be extending out of your thumb and forefinger.
- Moisten the knot with saliva. Insert the closed end of the forceps into loop B. Holding the standing line, use the forceps to pull on loop B until the knot jams tight.
- Trim the tag end close to the knot.
Graphic of how to tie a Perfection Loop
Perfection Loop Video
Fly Fishing Knots
Knots for Attaching Fly Fishing Line to Leader
Knots for Joining Two Pieces of Fly Fishing Leader
Knots to Tie the Fly to the Leader
- Nail Knot
- Surgeons Knot