A super strong knot for
leader to leader connections.
Instead of using the surgeons knot for making leader to leader connections, use a triple surgeons knot instead. This is a small 100% break strength knot. The triple surgeon’s knot is sometimes called the triple overhand knot.
To tie the knot:
- place the long leader to your right and overlap the end some 3 inches along the leader to your left.
- grasp the tag end and leader to your right and twist it into a loop in between your hands.
- grasp the standing leader on your left and the loop in your left hand
- using your fingers ,the end of your closed forceps or other tool, pull the tag end and free leader on your right through the loop three times
- grasp the tag end and long piece of leader on your right in your right hand. Grasp the tag end and long leader on your left in your left hand
- gently pull your hands in opposite directions to start seating the knot
- wet the knot and tug in opposite directions to finish seating the knot.
- trim loose tag ends close to the knot. (this small neat knot can be trimmed close without affecting the 100% break strength)
From personal testing, I can say this is a great fly fishing knot with very strong breaking strength. Recently, I had to break off a fly to get free from a rock. The leader broke but the triple surgeons knot was intact when I examined the broken leader.
Fly Fishing Knots
Knots for Attaching Fly Fishing Line to Leader
Knots for Joining Two Pieces of Fly Fishing Leader
Knots to Tie the Fly to the Leader
- Surgeons Knot